Saturday, December 3, 2011

Longwood Gardens






Two things happened special this week.  One, I took my son Travis back to South Carolina to see where he lives and meet his new friends.  We also went to the botanical garden and visited the zoo.  Always fun with our children no matter what age.  And Two, George and I went to a green roof conference in Philadelphia.  We spent the night downtown and learned a lot about the green roof industry and how it works as we have started growing green roof plants.  On the way in we stopped at Longwood Gardens in Kennet Square, very near out old home.  Oh my gosh what a show, it would make anyone want to garden.  Well actually you don't have to be a gardener to appreciate the beauty of the place, it's overwhelming walking into the conservatory and gardens.  If you haven't been it's hard to describe, I would say Disneyland for gardeners except more natural. The smell of growing things is what first hits you, warm and inviting.  After that it's just one long mouth hanging open experience.  Thousands of poinsettias and white hydrangeas along with branches from red twig dogwoods. Amaryllis in red and white.  Tall white euphorbias next to giant red amaryllis. Small salmon poinsettias that look like roses next to silvery big leafed begonias.  My oh my, how to describe it all.  Maybe I will just use the rest of the page for the pictures, after all one picture is worth a thousand words and who has time to read all that.



OK, this is my zoo visit which was way cool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment